More advanced technologies were introduced at Blackburn Meadows during the installation of the second generating station, which was commissioned in 1933. The new station on the site was larger than the first and could produce more electricity for Sheffield’s homes and industries. To honour the occasion His Royal Highness Prince George was invited to the opening ceremony. In his speech, The Prince declared that;
“The new generating station at Blackburn Meadows justifies this honour, for the improvement in design made by the present management over the original scheme make the works the finest in the country and one of which Sheffield can indeed by proud of.”
By now Blackburn Meadows was supplying electricity to one of the country’s largest municipal areas and to one of the most industrially advanced regions in the world. With the new extension, the power station was capable of producing 50,000kW of electricity and could heat its steam to over 450°C. Later that year, the new generating station was connected to the prestigious Central Electricity Board’s 132KV National Grid. Further extensions came in the form of two cooling towers, built in 1937-38, adjacent to the new generating station. The cooling towers, 70 metres in height and 50 metres in diameter were designed and built by LG Mouchell and Partners; the partnership responsible for the provision of the first hyperbolic concrete cooling towers across the country. A single cooling towers was also added next to the wooden towers, bringing the total number of cooling towers to eleven. The concrete cooling towers could hold over four times has much water at the wooden ones, which were later decommissioned.